Re: Photoscore

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Photoscore
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:29:53 -0600

On Tue 29 Nov 2016 at 16:10:00 (+0100), David Kastrup wrote:
> David Wright <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Tue 29 Nov 2016 at 09:37:21 (+0100), David Kastrup wrote:
> >>
> >> My father is living away several hours and is not technically savvy.
> >> The system boots into some sort of maintenance mode, so making a disk
> >> image via dd via phone instructions is going to be reasonably easy.  He
> >> can then send the image over by matter mail.
> >
> > The one thing I _wouldn't_ want to do is boot the system at all using
> > the drive under consideration. If you've lost control of your MBR,
> > then all bets are off as to which OS is going to boot and in what
> > circumstances. You risk yet more damage to the system.
>
> It boots into some Linux maintenance shell since the boot process does
> not find its file systems for mounting.  The risk basically is that the
> system in this state has parts overwritten already.

I suppose the good news is that it would appear windows did not make
itself the only system that could boot, one of the commonly used
tricks up its sleeve. Your earlier post gave me the impression that
windows now owned the machine.

> Root or not, this is running in a memory protected environment.  My
> experience with hosed and crashing systems has been that it is quite
> unusual for trashed code to actually cause more damage than further
> crashes.
>
> > If you maintain that the _only_ sensible course of action is: "The
> > thing to do IMMEDIATELY is make a "drive image backup" (which is what
> > this post appears to be supporting), then you have got to boot from a
> > different drive or a device like a CD or stick in order to make an
> > unadulterated copy. "Some sort of maintenance mode" doesn't cut it.
> > (And I don't even know whether you mean a linux or a windows mode.)
>
> Linux root disk prompt, before the root file system is swapped out for
> the real one.
>
> In short, quite a small target to hit.  It's unlikely that it got
> clobbered and still starts into a state appearing functional.

So I assume that Grub loaded a linux kernel and an initramfs into
memory but that's about it. That gives you a very limited set of tools
for recovery and no documentation. A live CD would give you a lot more.

But good luck with the process. Hurrah for the POTS.

Cheers,
David.