Re: New LilyPond website

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:07:18 -0800

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 05:22:25PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 11/29/2016 6:13 AM, John Roper wrote:
> >>
> >> Yea, where could the templates for the website now be found? I could
> >> do style updates. I wouldn't look as good as the WordPress but it can
> >> be better.
> >
> > And, maybe wait for further suggestions from someone with actual
> > experience in this area.
>
> The problem is that John may wait a long time then since a lot of stuff
> these days is maintained on autopilot by people with confined knowledge
> about the code in question.

I haven't seen John's new design, because all I see is a loading
icon (from email comments, apparently it requires javascript?
I browse without javascript because my chromebook can't handle the
"modern javascript" on most websites in what I consider to be a
reasonable amount of time).

Speaking as somebody with actual experience in this area (namely,
the person who created the current website): start off by
modifying the CSS file.

Again, I haven't seen his site, but 90% of the kinds of changes
that people propose for the lilypond website can be made easily in
the CSS.  This doesn't impact "make web", it doesn't impact the
translations... it causes absolutely 0 headaches for the existing
technical infrastructure.

(If you need extra <div class="whatever">, that would require 1-2
hours of developer attention to add it to the process.  Not at all
a problem.)

Cheers,
- Graham