Re: New LilyPond website

From: Paul
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 13:15:35 -0500

On 11/29/2016 11:47 AM, Karlin High wrote:

You're not alone in this. Here's Basecamp's Jason Fried writing in Inc.
magazine. To me, it seems like an echo of LilyPond's text-centric design
philosophy.

"I've always found it interesting that some of the most popular sites on
the Web--Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, Wikipedia, to name a few--are often
very heavy on the text and very light on the imagery. These sites won't
win any design awards, but they seem to communicate very clearly to
their intended audience. They don't try too hard; they just are what
they are. There's no shame in that."

Full article:
http://www.inc.com/magazine/201404/jason-fried/do-not-overdesign-your-website.html

And, the non-overdesigned Basecamp website: https://basecamp.com/about

There's also something to be said for setting appropriate expectations. A fancy website (with animations, parallax effects, etc.) suggests a fancy app, which text-based LilyPond is not, at least not in the mind of your average web surfer.

I like the Guile site which (IMHO) strikes a good balance of text and images that communicate well and reinforce the overall message.
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

All of that said... John, I don't want to discourage you. There are some nice aspects to your proposed design and there's a lot that could be done to improve the current website (a responsive design for viewing on small screens, for example). So thanks for your initiative and willingness to help out in this area. I hope you will not be deterred by the complexities and constraints that are currently involved when working on LilyPond's website.

-Paul