Re: New LilyPond website

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:09:07 -0800

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 08:33:25PM -0500, John Roper wrote:
>    I have thought about the no scripts idea, and I belive that right now,
>    there are not many websites that do not use javascript for some
>    functionality. Wordpress it's self is almost entirely built upon
>    javascript and php and it makes up >25% of all websites online
>
> ([1]https://martechtoday.com/wordpress-used-on-25-percent-of-all-websites-report-151115).
>    Even the lilypond blog runs on wordpress.
[...]

Please don't misunderstand; I'm not opposed to using javascript at all.
I think the redesign you did is wonderful.  It's just that I prefer
scripting should be layered on top of non-scripted underlying content,
rather than require scripting to even load the content in the first
place.  There are various reasons. Others have pointed out
accessibility; I also have in mind mechanical processing. It's OK if the
website is harder to use without scripting; but it should still be
*usable*. I.e., the content should be static (or appear to be static
from the browser's POV -- it can be generated from server side, and
that's OK), rather than, for example, require AJAX requests to pull
content after the initial HTML is loaded.

As long as accessing the content and navigation is *possible* with no
scripting (i.e., the content and any links exist in HTML), that's good
enough for me. You can do whatever else you want with scripting (make it
fancier, dynamically style it, animate it, or whatever else), and it
would be OK by me.

Without geometry, life would be pointless. -- VS