Re: New LilyPond website

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 22:52:27 +0100

Dear John,

tl;dr: I like it. Most of the following is said already.

welcome to this list and LilyPond! There are so many mails in this
thread now. Therefore I try to keep it short.

- This discussion comes up about once a year (-> archives)
- I think I started one of those, so I am in favour of changes and your
  proposal. I see a need for a better look.
- Thanks for your proposal and the work you already invested!
  It will help the discussion to be concrete and not just "in general".
- With JS disabled, I can't see anything. I think there is no reason
  why the basic content shouldn't be visible without JS.
  I am with Teoh that JS can beautify things.
- I like the look of your proposal! We can discuss details, I won't
  start listing them now. But I like it.
- There is a huge process in place to get the documentation from text
  files. One proposal in earlier discussions was to separate the
  docs-part from the website (i.e. the front page etc.).
- Please don't enforce the current technology for all future. There are
  valid reasons for the docs,

- IMHO there should not be a divide between "wordpress" and "text-
  based/makefiles". The best of two worlds can be combined (html and css
  templates with a modern look and responsiveness and text based input).
  I am happy to see your (John's) opinion on that.

My summary: Please, community, take this opportunity for a nice looking
website for lilypond, decouple the docs technically, figure out the
details and go for it.

Cheers,
Joram

PS: This discussion is much better than any before...