Re: New LilyPond website

From: Andy Bradford
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: 30 Nov 2016 00:18:13 -0700

Thus said John Roper on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 19:58:35 -0500:

> jmroper.com/lilypond

I  never got  to  see  the originally  proposed  changes.  At any  rate,
consider  my  opinion as  just  another  nobody's  voice in  the  crowd,
one  of many  non-stakeholder  LilyPond users,  but  personally, I  like
lilypond.org's  current CSS;  however, that's  not to  say it  cannot be
improved. I  like the  bolder, darker  text that I  see on  the original
site. It seems that the text on the  new proposed site is not as dark or
as bold; maybe even grey?

Text should stand  out. It should be dark. Sometimes  it should be bold;
judiciously used of course like it  is with the current main banner that
says:

LilyPond ... music notation for everyone

Why hide or mute text that is intended to be read?

The boxes  on the  right-hand side  make it  harder for  me to  pick out
valuable information because they blend in more with the background (are
less defined). On the original site, while there are no boxes, there are
big green header-like things (I'm not a web designer so pardon my lingo)
that stand out. On the old site, the links don't wrap. What I see on the
new  proposed site  has wrapping  going on  all over  in the  right-hand
boxes.  Hopefully  you  have  an  email client  that  will  render  this
properly, if not,  I imagine there are some email  archives that will do
it justice. What I see basically amounts to:

    Stable
    Release

    Download
    2.18.2

    Manuals 2.18.2

    Unstable
    Release

    Download
    2.19.15

    Manuals
    2.19.15

This is likely due to the way I  browse (e.g. I don't use a browser full
screen but instead split my real-estate with other windows).

Also, the menu/banner across the top has muted colors for the foreground
text  which makes  it  more  difficult to  see  the individual  options.
LilyPond stands out, as does Home, but  all the rest are a fainter white
than before. With lilypond.org, they  were a solid white, maybe somewhat
bold, and  easily readable.  Now they look  diminished, muted  and don't
even get much more legible when I hover my mouse over them.

If you're interested, I can send you a screenshot.

Anyway, just my $0.02. :-)

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 40000000583e7d59