Re: New LilyPond website

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 18:11:03 +0200

On 30 November 2016 at 17.34.33, Paul (address@hidden) wrote:

On 11/30/2016 09:19 AM, John Roper wrote:

> I added a small shadow to the boxes, and I fixed some coloring of
> links. You may have to force-refresh the page to see the changes (CTRL
> + F5)

Hi John, Overall, I like it and I think it's an improvement over what
we currently have. The responsive design for smaller screens is a big
improvement. There are some minor adjustments that I might suggest, but
no show stoppers. I'll just mention a couple things at this point.

I like the sans-serif. Verdana and Tahoma are sans fonts designed for
screens (rather than print) that are widely installed on different
OSes. There may be others. So it might be worth trying these instead
of Arial which was designed for print.

I actually liked your earlier version (with the flatter look) better
than the one with the drop shadows. To me the shadows make the page
look more asymmetrical and boxy in a distracting way. (Just one opinion.)

I've put up some screenshots to make it possible to compare those two
versions:

http://clairnote.org/ lilypond-screenshots/

(Just remove the two spaces in the URL, added here to prevent
crawling/indexing by search engine bots.)

When you get a chance it would be interesting to see how other pages
would look. And eventually I assume we'd want to convert your HTML to
texinfo to integrate with the current setup.

Thanks again for your work on this,
-Paul

What great work!  Let me know if you need any help, John, making a branch off of the main branch that can be formulated into a pull request.  That is probably the best way to get concrete input.

~Mike