Re: Vertically overlapping material / too small vertical space

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Vertically overlapping material / too small vertical space
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:33:44 +0100

Dear David,

On 30 November 2016 at 20:14, David Kastrup wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>>
>> I need a horizontally aligned list of button labels / fingerings. Most
>> of the time I need two labels, but every so often I need three or four
>> (when a chord consists of three or four pitches).
>>
>> I would prefer to use something like the following (please excuse me,
>> the syntax is not functional, but it should demonstrate what I want):
>>
>>     <f-\x{"B4"} a-\x{"B5"}>4
>>     <f-\x{"B4"} a-\x{"B5"} c'-\x{"B6"}>4
>>
>> Here's a working syntax (demonstrating the problem / why I cannot use it):
>>
>>   \score {
>>     \fixed c' {
>>       %
>>       % looks almost perfect, but I'm unable to use anything but simple
>> numbers
>>       %
>>       f4-4 <f-4 a-5> <f-4 a-5 c'-6> f-4
>>       %
>>       % proper text, but horrible output
>>       %
>>       f4^\markup{\column{"B4"}}
>>       <f a>^\markup{\column{"B5" "B4"}}
>>       <f a c'>^\markup{\column{"B6" "B5" "B4"}}
>>       f^\markup{\column{"B4"}}
>>     }
>>   }
>
> How about
>
> f4\B4
> <f\B4 a\B5>
> <f\B4 a\B5 c'\B6> f\B4
> f\B4
>
> You'll probably want more than \B but probably still a very limited
> number of fingerings.

Wonderful, thanks a lot. I like the syntax a lot.

I would additionally still need an optional finger number, perhaps
with a syntax similar to:
    f4\B4
    <f\B4-2 a\B5-3>
    <f\B4-2 a\B5-3 c'\B6-4> f\B4
so that "\B4-2" would result in "2B4", but I guess that should be
feasible to add.

What's still a mystery to me is whether it is possible to horizontally
align all these labels. (I remember that one can force lilypond to put
all fingerings on top, but I didn't manage to achieve proper
alignment.)

Mojca