Re: Spacing for s4

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Spacing for s4
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 20:51:53 -0500

On 12/02/2016 08:36 PM, PMA wrote:
On 12/02/2016 07:08 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
On 02.12.2016 23:39, PMA wrote:
Hi All!

I notice that the spacer command (e.g., "s4"), though
always accounting rightly for the TIME it commandeers
(here a quarter-note's worth), does not always insert
ACTUAL HORIZONTAL SPACE in the score.

How can I ensure that it'll do that too?  (I.e., what
score-setup spec would have disabled it?)

Since there is no visible output for s-rests, they don’t technically
_need_ to take up space. Some ideas:

– Adjust line breaks or use the paper variables system-count, page-count
&c. to achieve generally looser spacing.
– Try proportional notation.

Both should be easily found in the docs.

HTH, Simon

Hi Simon!

If they NEVER visibly output horizontal space
(the amount that rests instead would take up),

I wouldn't be wondering.  Anyway...

The score setup already calls for proportional
notation.  I'll pursue your other leads now.

Thanks,
Pete

Got it! --
\override Rest.transparent = ##t