Re: Spacing for s4

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Spacing for s4
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 09:12:17 -0500

On 12/03/2016 06:26 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

On 03.12.2016 02:36, PMA wrote:
The score setup already calls for proportional
notation.

I think it would be a valid request to have s-rests take up the
respective space with proportional spacing.

I don't think s rests should mess with the spacing of other notes.  So
their spacing should not be "proportional" in LilyPond terms but rather
proportional with respect to the next "real" note columns.  Trivially if
there is a note at the same time as the s it should just align to that.

So basically my idea would be to have the responsible engraver record
the closest Note/Rest columns and then place the s column in respect to
those and their timing and positioning.  Bonus for figuring out how to
deal with grace time...

Would you mind sending a concise request, with a small example, to
address@hidden

With such a simple solution (my using 'r' instead & setting
rests to transparent), I'm not inclined to pursue the issue.

I do wonder, though, if spacers are not to make space (for
themselves, so of course nudging the next event rightward),
why they are called "spacers" at all.

Pete