Re: New LilyPond website

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 17:31:06 +0000

On 12/3/2016 4:42 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> John, you resisted more than I would have expected. I wonder if we'll
> ever see "the best person for _this_ job".

And, I have been admiring John's patience and flexibility. He faced more
resistance than I would have expected. Work on the website has an
oil-and-water requirement - modernize the website by building on systems
that are ancient by the web-development standards of today.

In the 2 website-redesign discussions I've witnessed so far, I get the
impression that the LilyPond community is a bit of a tough audience for
web developers. I don't mean that in a bad way; it's just that people
here are more typesetters than graphic designers. They may be used to
spending lots of time and effort getting notation elements to look just
so, making changes of mere millimeters. Are web developers used to
having each and every choice of font and color scrutinized in such
detail, while the discussion easily veers off into design philosophy?
Maybe they are; I don't have much connection to the web-dev community.

I like Urs Liska's idea of having a wiki or contributor guide entry for
web developer work. Then future proposals for website work could get a
response with a link to the requirements, as routinely as reminders
about Minimal Working Examples. Although I don't have great experience
with the LilyPond project, I'll propose something based on what I've
gathered so far, maybe it could go here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/introduction-to-website-work

"NOTICE: lilypond.org is not just a website. It is the product of a vast
system of technical documentation. The documentation is written in a
language called texinfo, which is standard for GNU projects. Texinfo
allows generating different output formats from a single set of source
files. This avoids needing different documents maintained for online
information and printed manuals. Since there are currently 11 manuals
for LilyPond, not including the translations, having a single-source
documentation format is very important. Currently, LilyPond's texinfo
output formats include HTML for the website, PDF for printing, and the
info format used by UNIX-like operating systems. Keeping information on
the website updated is automatic, as the web pages are generated when
the documentation is built using the GNU make system. But it also means
that the web development environment is unusual, and based on texinfo
rather than HTML and CSS.

"It is quite common for a skilled web developer to look at the
lilypond.org website and reflexively propose a different system for
maintaining it. Such proposals may have great merit when considering the
website in isolation. However, the LilyPond project has limited
resources for maintaining and translating its documentation, which makes
up a major portion of the website. The idea of having to maintain the
website apart from the documentation is unlikely to be supported by the
developers and translators. Although there may be systems other than
texinfo that would meet the needs for generating the documentation and
website, there would need to be a compelling reason to make such a
change. Simply doing the same thing in a different way is unlikely to be
enough. This is a little like signage for highways and airports, where
current fashions are largely disregarded in favor of long-established
standards for presenting messages. Large-scale changes are rare and only
done with great effort.

"For any such large-scale structural change to be considered seriously,
it would almost certainly require that its proposer have a considerable
track record with maintaining LilyPond's documentation and show evidence
of long-term commitment to the project. But, smaller changes to the
formatting and appearance of the website are also needed, welcome, and
much easier to have accepted. If you have never contributed to the
LilyPond project before, and want to work on the website, a good
starting point would be incremental changes to the CSS file."
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA