some mentoring available

From: Graham Percival
Subject: some mentoring available
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 13:20:51 -0800

Contributing to LilyPond is not easy; there are a number of
technical and social challenges that make it daunting, especially
for people who have not contributed to mature open-source projects
before.

The best way to address this is by having a mentor.  An
experienced developer can help guide you through the process,
point out exactly what you need to read, commiserate about any
difficulties, and generally minimize any wasted time or effort.

I'm available to mentor 1-3 contributors to the documentation and
website.

Why me?  Although I've been "out of the loop" of lilypond
development for the past few years, I still have more experience
mentoring new lilypond developers than anybody else.  In 2008, I
ran the "Grand Documentation Project", which involved more than 20
contributors.  Many of the currently active developers began
working with me, and are now absolutely vital to the project.

Due to some health issues, I am not currently looking to run
another huge "Grand Project" yet.  I'm tentatively looking at
doing this in 4-6 months.  Before that, however, it would be
useful to guide a few people through the process.

If you're interested in helping out LilyPond and willing to spend
3-5 hours a week, get in touch!  Even if you're not particularly
interested in documentation, it's still a great way to "learn the
ropes".

Cheers,
- Graham Percival