Re: Changing the form of a whole-bar rest

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Changing the form of a whole-bar rest
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 16:02:17 +0100

> %%%%%
> \version "2.19.48"
>
> \language "english"
>
> { \time 4/2 R1*4/2 }
> %%%%%
>
> The above prints a breve rest in the middle of the bar.
>
> I want the "normal" whole-bar rest to appear instead, i.e. a semibreve
> rest.
>
> After much experimentation and searching online and in the Lilypond
> docs, the best I have come up with is
>
> %%%%%
> \version "2.19.48"
>
> \language "english"
>
> { \time 4/2
>   \once \override MultiMeasureRest.stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
>   \once \override MultiMeasureRest.text = \markup \musicglyph "rests.0"
>   R1*4/2 }
> %%%%%
>
> This doesn't work correctly, for reasons I can partly understand.  The
> required rest does appear, but it is at the beginning of the stave
> rather than in the middle of the bar.
>
> How can I get the result I want?
>
> David

Hi David,

there were already some discussions  on the topic.
Search the archives for 'usable-duration-logs'
And we have

For your current use-case you could try:

{
    \compressFullBarRests
    \override MultiMeasureRest.usable-duration-logs = #'(0)
    \time 4/2
    R1*4/2
    R1*8/2
}

Though, it comes out strange for the second Rest with
compressFullBarRests, so I'd do \once ...

HTH,
  HArm