Re: PyQt5

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: PyQt5
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 13:15:38 +0100

Il giorno dom 4 dic 2016 alle 22:19, Urs Liska <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Otherwise you may try pinning a package in a different repository.

I must say I'm a little bit worried because it's not just PyQt but also Qt itself and IISC a number of other things that all have to match. But
I must admit I don't really see through that.

 Don't know how Linux Mint works...

I *think* that with regard to packaging it should behave basically like
Debian itself. For example, unlike Ubuntu you can't add PPAs.

I found some wiki pages where it was recommended even the opposite, that is adding mint repositories to a debian system. So they should work fine together. You may give it a try. aptitude will tell you what it's going to do before proceeding and you'll be able to say no if you see too many conflicts with other packages.

Your system is based on debian 8.4, that is Jessie, current stable.
So try appending this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian testing main contrib

Then enable this repo only for the packages you want to take from there.
Create the file /etc/apt/preferences and try with these lines:

Package: python3-pyqt5
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1

Then update the repositories list and check if the pinning is correct:

aptitude update
apt-cache policy
apt-cache policy python3-pyqt5

I think that `aptitude upgrade` should automatically update the package.
If it doesn't, you can force the upgrade.

Now the problem is how many dependencies you need to upgrade and the conflicts that will occur.