Re: Creating marginal comments?

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Creating marginal comments?
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 13:52:50 +0100

Hi Tapani!
Two problems:
1. I'm producing a hymnal with 100s of entries. To keep things tidy, those
hymns are in separate .ly files, and I then use lilypond-book to compile
them into one document. To embed every music file in a single (massive) .tex
document is not realistic at this stage of the project.

Well, I agree that it is a good idea to keep the hymns in separate files. TeX knows
"\input".
But I do not know how much work would it be to edit your scores. It might be an
easy
automatic process using sed, it might be complicated ...

2. I'm too much of a newbie to understand /how/ your method works. Would you
be able to explain it to me in simple/ish terms, or do I just have to go
away and buy a LaTeX manual and really learn the language properly? OR,
alternatively, can I just insert the \newcount commands into my preamble and
use the \def\callback[etc.] argument in the document?
I prepared a somewhat commented version of hymex.tex. Having a LaTex manual
as well as the TeXbook is always a good idea.

cu,
 Knut