Re: New LilyPond website

From: Paul
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 10:58:38 -0500

On 12/03/2016 04:24 PM, Graham Percival wrote:

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 08:10:17PM -0500, Paul wrote:
I just wish that working with texinfo (for the website) was more intuitive
for contributors who know HTML but not texinfo.  For example, an HTML
element with an id and also a number of classes, all used for styling it
with CSS.  I don't know if you can generate that HTML element (with both id
and classes) from texinfo with our current setup.
Here's an example from web.texi:

@divId{quickSummary}
LilyPond is a music engraving program, devoted to producing the
highest-quality sheet music possible.  It brings the aesthetics of
traditionally engraved music to computer printouts.  LilyPond is free
software and part of the @uref{http://gnu.org,GNU Project}.

@divClass{align-right}
Read more in our @ref{Introduction}!

@divEnd
@divEnd

Yes, this works fine here since two divs are needed. There doesn't seem to be a way to produce a single div with both an id and classes (as is routine in HTML). Ideally we'd have a single macro for divs that let you assign an id (or not) and classes (or not) to the div. That would be more intuitive for those used to HTML.

The macros could be easily extended to add multiple classes (if they
don't do that already; I can't recall).

The uses of divClass in the itexi files appear to have just a single class, but I took a look at the divClass macro in common-macros.itexi and tested it and it already works for multiple classes:

@divClass {first-class second-class}

And looking at the other macros I see how to write a macro that creates a div with ID and classes:

@div {an-id,first-class second-class}

I'll post a proposal on the dev list and/or prepare a patch.

Cheers,
-Paul