Re: PyQt5

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: PyQt5
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 17:13:20 +0100

Il giorno lun 5 dic 2016 alle 16:54, Urs Liska <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I don't worry about the stability of Debian testing but would like to be somewhat assured about the process of switching to it. IIUC it basically boils down to switching the package repositories from stable to testing
and upgrading with apt-get, isn't it?

Yes, you can find more on the debian wiki.
I updated debian stable to testing only once (it's an upgrade that you cannot revert).
The transition was smooth.

So how high should I consider the risks of substantial complications on
the way? And would I have a way to have apt do some kind of rollback?

No rollback, as far as I know.

Maybe there are other risks stemming from the fact that ... my current setup doesn't refer to vanilla Debian only but has been
tailored by the Mint developers?

I guess more than a risk, but you'd better ask on Mint support channels.

 My suggestion is switching to Debian testing.
 Why did you choose Linux Mint? Because of desktop environments
 alternative to Gnome which were not available in Debian?

Actually I don't really recall what was the trigger for me to switch.
Maybe I had some issue with the Debian/Gnome setup I had, or I just
wanted to try out something different after reading about Mint?
Anyway I chose LMDE, which is a Mint based on Debian instead of Ubuntu
repositories.
I liked the Cinnamon desktop, and maybe that wasn't (isn't) available
under Debian (then)?

If I don't have to fear transition quirks I'd also be open to try out
others, though.

Cinnamon is available in stable and testing as well:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=cinnamon

I would install debian testing from scratch.
What is keeping you from doing so? Migrating your configurations is boring?