Re: mmrest-of-length and \cadenzaOn

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: mmrest-of-length and \cadenzaOn
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 22:35:27 +0100

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to typeset a piece where one player has an unmetered cadenza
> while every other player rests. I'm trying to use mmrest-of-length to
> generate the rests, but if I use \cadenzaOn, I get the error "programming
> error: Multi_measure_rest::get_rods (): I am not spanned!" and the rests are
> not printed. This error doesn't happen if I use skip-of-rest instead, but in
> that case, I don't get the rests.
>
> Here is a minimal example that demonstrates the problem:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> MyCadenza = \relative c' {
>   c4 d8 e f g g4
>   f2 g4 g \bar "|"
> }
>
> \new GrandStaff <<
>   \new Staff {
>     \cadenzaOn
>     \MyCadenza
>     \cadenzaOff c'1
>   }
>   \new Staff {
>     \cadenzaOn
>     #(mmrest-of-length MyCadenza)
>     \cadenzaOff
>     c'1
>   }
>>>

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> I'm running version 2.18.2 on Mac OS 10.11.6. Is there a different command I
> should be using to get a full measure rest while I'm using \cadenzaOn?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Brin

Hi,
found some code on the list (can't say anymore who posted it
initially) and extended it a bit. See attached.
It completely avoids \cadenzaOn/Off, because of the hassle you experienced.
midi may come out strange (not tested), I don't care about midi, though ...

It's 2.15.24 code, but still working. Anyway running convert-ly over
it may be a good idea.

Maybe it helps,
  Harm