Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:14:07 -0700 (MST)

Alexander,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Alexander Kobel-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

every now and then, I use a font for lyrics where the hyphen is quite
different from Lilypond's LyricHyphen (in particular, sometimes it's
slightly slanted). That combined with lyrics where a hyphen has to
appear looks, well, ugly. (Recent example: a repetition of part of a
word that has to be written as { ro -- sen-, ro -- sen -- rot }.)

I failed with
   \override LyricHyphen.text = #"-"
   \override LyricHyphen.stencil = #lyric-text::print
trying to replace the LyricHyphen "elementary stencil" by a properly
printed hyphen from the LyricText font. Did anyone ever successfully try
to do that, or has an idea how to approach such a tweak?

I've looked into this before, but it requires a complete re-write of the stencil function because the "elementary stencil" is actually a single dashed line spanner rather than a bunch of line segments. I haven't been able to come up with a working solution, though.

Best,
Abraham