Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 23:29:34 +0100

Hi Abraham,

On 2016-12-06 23:14, tisimst wrote:
Alexander,
[...]
    I failed with
       \override LyricHyphen.text = #"-"
       \override LyricHyphen.stencil = #lyric-text::print
    trying to replace the LyricHyphen "elementary stencil" by a properly
    printed hyphen from the LyricText font.
[...]

I've looked into this before, but it requires a complete re-write of the
stencil function because the "elementary stencil" is actually a single
dashed line spanner rather than a bunch of line segments. I haven't been
able to come up with a working solution, though.

Duh, that's what I was afraid to hear. Can't say I'm surprised...
I know that the LyricHyphen features much more than a simple glyph internally, including shortening the hyphens (which I personally dislike, and rather leave it out, but that's a different story). Hence I assumed that it's not as simple as just resetting the stencil, but I rather hoped that there is a single place to inject it in the spanner. Well, probably no luck. Then I'll have to resort to less extraordinary fonts and adjusting the height and extent of the LyricHyphen...

Thanks,
Alexander