Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: How to build LilyPond.app on macOS?
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 18:08:18 -0000

Carl Sorensen wrote Wednesday, December 07, 2016 4:39 PM

On 12/7/16 2:49 AM, "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden> wrote:

>>I have offered on more than one occasion on the list to do the Python
>>port. I have been knocked back, to be more accurate, strongly
>>discouraged, each time. As somebody with over forty years of software
>>development experience, I have the skills required, but not only that I
>>have the time and the motivation, and the inclination to help. I have
>>maintained for a long time that a Python upgrade is valuable, especially
>>after not having a current version of Python prevented me from doing some
>>task quite some time ago (I no longer remember which! But no matter.). I
>>am perfectly aware that the outcome of the work is Œnothing changes¹ ­
>>but this is not the point. It provides the way forward for lilypond to
>>keep current with Python. I currently have the time and energy to do this
>>work. Is there anybody at all who would support this idea? Surely this
>>has to be done at some point in time. Why not now? After all, we are
>>attacking the guile 2 matter currently, and similar arguments have been
>>made against doing that in the past.
>
>The proper place to have this discussion is on the -devel list, not the
>-user list.  I say this not as a complaint, but as a help.
>
>If you'd like to update python, by all means have a go at it!  We always
>welcome changes from people who have something they want to do and do it
>well.
>
>We wouldn't be excited about having somebody say "you ought to change to
>Python 2.7", but I'd personally be happy to have somebody say "I'm willing
>to change to Python 2.7".  It will be a big job, but if you're up for it,
>great!
>
>I'm looking forward to your contributions!

I agree with Carl - yes, it's an enormous job, but as soon as someone
starts it gets a little smaller.  Even just investigating what needs to
be done and documenting it would be a great start.

Some devs don't read the -user list, so posting your offer on the -devel
list would get more feedback.

Trevor