Re: Is it possible to put alternatives inside repeats?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Is it possible to put alternatives inside repeats?
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 20:40:01 +0100

Hello anonymous guy (or gal…),

On 09.12.2016 10:22, list_lilypond wrote:
inside the repeat there are alternatives.

As normally the \alternative{} syntax is put outside the \repeat{}, I
really wonder whether this is possible at all.
If possible in some other way, could someone please be so kind to point
out how to repeat with embedded alternatives without rewriting all?

The available implementation of \repeat doesn’t allow any other use of \alternative than immediately _after_ the repeated expression. So it seems you’ll have to either

– split the repeat up into several repeats (and relocate stuff so that the alternative at the beginning becomes an alternative at the end – write it out entirely – that might really reduce confusion for the reader, except in Reich-esque pattern music, – or fake the appearance by setting the context property repeatCommands. There is an example in <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/snippets/repeats#repeats-volta-text-markup-using-repeatcommands>. So you can do something like the attached. I’d advise to close the volta brackets for the 2. alternatives _inside_ the repeat, but I don’t know how. Anyone?

Best, Simon