Re: Emmentaler font issues with the infinality bundle [was: on Arch Linu

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Emmentaler font issues with the infinality bundle [was: on Arch Linux builds]
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 23:52:24 +0100

On 2016-12-09 23:36, Michael Gerdau wrote:
Hi Alexander,

Confirmed by a two-minute test without recompiling anything (I use
bohoomils repo for infinality, not the aur package). Could you do me a
favor and double-check whether the skylines change if you replace
{cairo,fontconfig,freetype2} by
{cairo,fontconfig,freetype2}-infinality-ultimate (possibly along with
the lib32- variants)?
No hurry, though, I'll have to find time to investigate more, and
whether the configuration can be changed to leave Lily's music fonts
alone...

I used to use only the fonts repo.

Ah, I see.

I now added
[infinality-bundle]

Server = http://bohoomil.com/repo/x86_64

[infinality-bundle-multilib]

Server = http://bohoomil.com/repo/multilib/x86_64

to my pacman.conf and installed
{cairo,fontconfig,freetype2}-infinality-ultimateall (plus lib32 variants)

Yes, that used to be my default configuration.

Result:
The skyline seems to be like in your 2.19.53 example.
Going back to ArchLinux stock repos again gives your 2.19.50 version
(which I seem to like better)

Indeed. The stock version is okay, the other one is plainly wrong IMHO. (The position of the octavation of treble_8 is a matter of taste, but it is as intended in the official Lily builds.)

I reported the issue on bohoomil's tracker at
  https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/186

Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I'll let the list know when I have further news on the subject.

Cheers,
Alexander