Re: New LilyPond website

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 21:27:48 +0000

On 11 Dec 2016 07:23, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I just don't think I am the best person for the job.
>>
>> Roper has finally posted something I agree with.
>
> Why this unwarranted hostility?  His final design was sound, and I
> think we should adapt some key elements.  And even if you think it was
> not, you shouldn't word it like that.

I don't think there is a mythical "best person for the job" anyway.
Someone who is really into web design will really not be into our
constraints and tool chains.

John has demonstrated remarkable willingness to adapt himself to those,
so I was rather sad to see him overcome by a combination of those and on
top of that a bit of attitude that was in excess of what explaining the
situation strictly would have warranted.

He appeared like a lot more than we could have hoped for until he
finally threw in the towel.

--
David Kastrup

I'd missed him throwing in the towel, but with the sheer amount of negativity in these threads regarding the idea of reworking the website, I can't blame him.

Open source is great, old tools that still work are great, changing things for no reason should be resisted; but let's not resist all change for the sake of it.

I for one really liked his approach. And accessibility is important, as is automatically/computationally generated documentation. And my view is, if you refuse to use _javascript_, or try to run a defunct browser, that's your problem.

Chris