Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: exchange LyricHyphen with a "proper" hyphen
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 00:00:04 +0100

Hi,

> That’s a design question. There are styles which use extenders on single
> notes (e.g. for very wide c.f. notes),

I also think I have seen it for long notes, for instance in a final measure.

I could also think of a situation where a voice splits up into two in
the final measure (bass voices sometimes do). Then it would be handy to
write the lyrics according to the main (and then upper) voice. But the
new temporary voice could have a melisma calling for an extender line.

{
  <<
    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "one" { a'4 a' a' a' \voiceOne a'1 \bar "|." }
      \new Voice  { s1 \voiceTwo  a4 b c' d' }

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" { A B C D
      \override Lyrics.LyricExtender.minimum-length = #8.5
      E __ }

}

> so I think it should ideally be controlled by a context property.

+1

There could be two options:
a) Extender length is always at least minimum-length
b) Extenders shorter than a threshold length are omitted.

It seems like currently single note (non-melisma) extenders choose
option (a) which looks bad in most cases: Either they need to be
lengthened (like the override above) or they should be suppressed.

For an automatic extender creation, there could be two options:
a) only explicit extenders are printed (current behaviour)
b) extenders are printed for melismata

Cheers,
Joram