Re: Automatic Lyric Extenders

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Automatic Lyric Extenders
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 21:29:56 +0100

On 2016-12-19 21:09, Br. Samuel Springuel wrote:
Is there a way to get lyric extenders to appear automatically when
lyrics have been applied to a voice using `\lyricsto`?  I know how to
manually get them to appear (with `__`), but I'm wondering if there is a
simple setting that can be changed in an included style file that would
allow me to make the change universally for all file in a particular
project.

Hi Samuel,

you asked at the right time. This will be a major change in one of the upcoming Lilypond versions: automatic extenders per default. Unfortunately, the idea is merely two weeks old, and programming is (almost?) done, but the interface is not yet entirely polished. For the time being, you might want to use some "testing" code and include the attached file and prefix all your \lyricmode code with \autoextenders:

\include "autoextenders.ily"
words = \autoextenders \lyricmode { ... }

Once the new functionality will arrive in the official Lilypond distribution, you can simply remove the include, delete all calls of autoextenders and you should be good to go.

If you find any annoyances, please make sure to let us know on this list - most likely, any "unexpected behavior" will also pop up with the new code, and we are eager to find out as soon as possible.

HTH,
Alexander