Re: Mutable pronouns in Lyrics

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Mutable pronouns in Lyrics
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 15:25:16 -0500

On 2016-12-20 3:00 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
you can just omit these tests and trust that the \keepWithTag
mechanism will work properly :-) Because it does – the pronouns show
up correctly.

Indeed, the tag mechanism does fine at keeping just the pronouns I want.
 I'm not trying to solve that problem.  The problem I'm trying to solve
is the instance where I've included a file which contains these
differential pronouns in another project, but have forgotten the
appropriate \keepWithTag command.  In this instance, all the pronouns
show up, displacing lyrics inappropriately.  This won't raise errors and
thus must be caught in the proofreading stage (something I'm not always
good at doing).  Thus I'm trying to get the system to raise an error
when this happens.

To put it another way, I'd like the variables heshe et al. to raise an error if they are used in a score which does not have a \keepWithTag command applied with, if \keepWithTag is used but male, female, or neutral is not in the tag list, or if more than one of male, female, or neutral is in the tag list.

And one more hint to the problem: even if a tagged section in your
example is later omitted through \keepWithTag, the scheme code is
still executed first.

That would imply that this particular strategy isn't possible.

--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ