Re: Mutable pronouns in Lyrics

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Mutable pronouns in Lyrics
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:25:16 -0500

This works in the sense that bar checks are indeed allowed in lyrics and when I add them to the snippet I get an error when \keepWithTag is removed (or has the wrong number of tags in it) and don't when it's present with the right number of tags (1).

However, in trying to apply it to my use case I've run into another problem:

These hymns are built of components. In one folder, I have a bunch of files with the words that match a certain metrical pattern (by line), in the case of this example 11.11.11.5. In another folder I have more files with the music which also has this metrical pattern (by line). The final score is made by including one file from the words folder and one from the music folder and setting them as simultaneous music. I've attached a sample of this structure.

The issue is that the music falls into two camps: chant tunes (which only have explicit bar lines and only at the end of each metrical line) and modern tunes (which have a proper time signature and measures). Once I insert bar checks, these tunes are no longer interchangable in the final construction. If I put in the bar checks for a chant tune, then only chant tunes will pass. If I put them in for a modern tune, then only modern tunes with the same time signature and number of syllables per measure will pass.

I think what I need is something which works like the bar check except that it is not bound by the piece's time signature. This way it can be inserted arbitrarily (in my instance I would put it at the end of each metrical line) and only looks for another instance of itself at the same musical moment in any simultaneous voices.

Unfortunately, I'm getting stuck here. I've tried looking into the various manuals for more on the bar checks and how they work (and thus might be duplicated and modified) but while I've found several pages that appear to be related, I can't make sense of them well enough to determine what would need to be done to produce this "pseudo bar check."

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/barcheck
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/iterator-tutorial
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/engraver-tutorial

Is there something else I should be reading to figure this out?

P.S. I feel like I keep moving the goal posts on this issue. Thank you for sticking with me thus far and please let me know if I'm simply reaching further than is reasonable.
--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ