Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 16:06:31 +0000

dddd

On 24/12/16 08:33, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Il giorno sab 24 dic 2016 alle 4:31, Andrew Bernard
> <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>> Some like Debian for its high stability, but I find its graphical
>> appearance sub-par - this is well known.
>
> Well, strictly speaking, Debian doesn't have a graphical appearance. You
> probably meant to say that _you_ don't like the default desktop
> environment, that is Gnome 3 (but there are many people who love it).
> When you install Debian (at least the netinst image) you are offered the
> possibility to choose the desktop environment: Gnome, KDE, LxQT and others.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment

I use CentOS (7.3) with the version of LP that comes with the distro.
It's rock solid and stable which is why it is used in the cluster at work.

I'd just like to reinforce what Andrew said though, unlike windows you
can choose the desktop.  I used KDE for years on SuSE machines, but for
the last 6 years have been using Gnome 2 professionally.  With the
change to Gnome 3 though I've gone over to Mate (also available in the
distribution) which gives a much nicer feel.  However, and this is an
important point, I come at things from a command line background; from a
Windows background you may prefer the more constrained Gnome 3.

One other thing: are you aware that you can get "live" distibutions
(distros)?  You can download and burn a DVD with the OS of your choice
and then just boot the DVD to try it out.  It will run a lot slower and
you can't store data, but for a few pence/cents it gives you a chance to
try things out before committing.