Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 22:20:33 -0800

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 06:52:03AM +0100, Jacques Menu Muzhic wrote:
> I use LilyDev 4 (Debian 8 / Jessie, native GUI I guess) on a Mac with VMware
> Fusion, on which Lilypond dev versions compile seamlessly.
[...]

I use Lilypond (but not Frescobaldi -- don't know if it works, I think
it probably does) on Debian/unstable.  Both the package from the
official Debian repository and building from source work well.

The official Debian version of lilypond is older (2.18.x), so I build
directly from git (2.19.x) instead.  I use both versions, usually 2.19
for more complex projects where I need 2.19 features, and 2.18 for
smaller experiments and such. So far, I haven't encountered any major
problems with either version.

Since Ubuntu & co. are Debian-based, the above probably applies to them
too.  I don't recommend vanilla Debian for first-time Linux users;
Ubuntu is probably more friendly and accessible, though both share the
same core.

--T