Tie direction automatic control in a voice

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Tie direction automatic control in a voice
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 21:34:30 +1100

Greetings All,

I have a lot of two note chords that are tied over, and would like to have the upper tie always go up and the lower tie down. This is in the context of a given voice. I am aware that one can specify individual directions for individual notes in a chord, but for this use case, is there any way one could make a function of some sort to have lilypond always do the up and down connection automatically, when commanded, as per the second tied pair in the simple example? That would be a real time saver for me.

\version "2.19.53"

{

  \voiceOne

}

[Needless to say, it would be useful to be able to specify an up down pattern for chords of three, four, or more notes as well.]

Andrew