Re: cannot compile file with name satb.ly from the command line

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: cannot compile file with name satb.ly from the command line
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 08:23:00 -0600

On Sun 25 Dec 2016 at 09:53:16 (+0100), David Kastrup wrote:
> David Wright <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sun 25 Dec 2016 at 10:51:15 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> >> Same problem on Linux. I would class this as a defect - I would not expect
> >> to be restricted in music filenames due to clashes with internal files. No
> >> wonder it is not documented.
> >
> > This bug has either been introduced in 2.19, or it exists in lilyponds
> > downloaded/installed from lilypond.org but not in the distribution's
> > own version. Perhaps someone who runs 2.18.2 downloaded from the web
> > can ascertain which.
> >
> > Debian jessie version:
> >
> > $ lilypond satb.ly
> > GNU LilyPond 2.18.2
> > Processing `satb.ly'
> > Parsing...
> > satb.ly:1:10: error: invalid character: `“'
> > \version
> >          “2.19.46”
> > satb.ly:1:10: error: syntax error, unexpected $undefined
> > \version
> >          “2.19.46”
> > satb.ly:1:11: error: quoted string expected after \version
> > \version “
> >           2.19.46”
> > satb.ly:1: warning: no \version statement found, please add
> >
> > \version "2.18.2"
>
> Perhaps try using the correct quotation characters around the version
> number.

Why bother? I copy/pasted the OP's example, and the error makes an
convenient and obvious indication of whether LP has compiled the
correct file without having to look at any other output. (I assume
the quotations are being translated by the OP's email client which
may think it's doing the Right Thing.)

Cheers,
David.