Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 22:03:32 +0000

On 29/12/16 03:51, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
> My concern with "easy" distros - and maybe I'm wrong here - is that if
> something goes wrong (and it invariably will) you will need the ability
> to fix it, which will require digging into the file system, editing
> configuration files, etc.
>
> I don't know what the happy medium is, though!

Start with something easy? Ubuntu or Kubuntu sounds a good choice BUT. I
just cannot get on with Debian-based distros or Gnome. So openSUSE is
also a good distro to try, seeing as it's rpm and KDE.

The difficulty, of course, is that telling a noob to try several distros
could be off-putting, even if it is good advice.

And tell them that when they know a bit more, set up a system with Slack
or gentoo or arch or somesuch. Even if they don't use it, the act of
getting it to work should teach them a lot.

Cheers,
Wol