Re: LyricExtender and alternate volta ending

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: LyricExtender and alternate volta ending
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 20:52:23 -0600

On Sat 31 Dec 2016 at 13:36:15 (+0200), Risto Vääräniemi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm porting a project I made on 2.11 to 2.19 and every now and then I
> encounter some things that worked with the old version but not anymore with
> the new one.
>
> The most recent one is the behaviour of the LyricExtender in the alternate
> endings. In 2.11 you could fool the system to add the an empty extender by
> adding \markup { "" } in the lyrics but that does not work anymore with
> 2.19. The current manual *) suggests adding underscores manually but that
> is an ugly workaround especially if the passage in the alternative ending
> is long (as I have in the real world example).
>
> Is there any way to do this more dynamically?

I find the definition

nbsp = \markup \char ##x00A0

useful in many situations where you want "nothing".
It avoids the effect of making the previous note into the
start of a melisma, which writing   " "   can do.

The override extends the extender to the left, which makes it a bit
clearer what it is doing there. Adjust the -2 to taste.

Cheers,
David.