Python LiLily (was: OOoLilyPond)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Python LiLily (was: OOoLilyPond)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 11:37:07 +0100

Am 02.01.2017 um 10:49 schrieb Urs Liska:

> Am 02.01.2017 um 10:25 schrieb Urs Liska:
>> So it would be really great to pick up this extension and make it usable
>> again.
> For the record:
> The original package on SourceForge does *not* have a license included,
> so I have written an email to the original developer. It has been
> delivered, so the email account still exists - but of course that
> doesn't mean I will get a response.
>
> In the meantime I have extracted the archive and set up a Git
> repository, and if I get a positive answer I will upload it to Github
> under the new name LiLily.
>
> This still doesn't mean I'm ready to actually develop and maintain it
> further, as I don't have any experience with LibreOffice extensions.
>
> Urs

One more thought on the issue (hopefully the last for this morning):
Looking at the wiki pages for LibreOffice extension development I saw
that extensions can be written in a number of languages including
Python. The sample project
https://github.com/kunaldeo/Py-LibreOffice-Love-Letter-Writer/ also
seems to make use of PyQt, so I thought it might be an even better idea
to create a LilyPond extension for LibreOffice from scratch. This could
then at least provide syntax highlighting (I must say that the visual
appearance of the extension was also somewhat off-putting) and over the
time one could add lightweight editing features to it (although it
should not actually double Frescobaldi's functionality).
In this context it would also be straightforward to add UI to configure
the output (PNG/EPS, size/resolution etc.).

I think that looks promising. What do you think?

Urs