Re: OOoLilyPond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: OOoLilyPond
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 16:36:36 +0100

Am 02.01.2017 um 16:27 schrieb Wols Lists:
> On 02/01/17 13:41, Urs Liska wrote:
>>
>> Am 02.01.2017 um 14:38 schrieb Klaus Blum:
>>> Urs Liska wrote
>>> Ooops, I forgot to mention that this only counts for Windows 7.
>>> I don't have a Linux installation that could be called up-to-date. ;-)
>> So it might be useful to add an option to use EPS, PNG or SVG. This
>> should accordingly invoke LilyPond and then import the right image file.
>> So users can configure the behaviour to their needs and OS.
>>
> Bear in mind that Apache OO hasn't been updated in heaven knows how
> long. Last I heard it took over six months to get a serious (read
> "dangerous") bug fixed, because no one knew how to get the build system
> to work to create a new release.
>
> So before you spend time "supporting" OO (that's probably why it still
> works for OO, because it's not been updated ...) check the release date
> of the version you are supporting. I think there's only been one proper
> release of OO since it became Apache OO, and that's how many years ago?

I didn't intend to support OOo.
However, it seems unclear (at least to me) which graphics formats the
various versions of LO support on the different platforms. The official
help page
https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Inserting_a_Graphic_From_a_File
actually tells *nothing* about supported formats, let alone any platform
differences.

> otoh, LO is a moving target with regular releases. But the dev list is
> very active so if you want some help from the LO guys, feel free to join
> in. If I spot you there I'll try to help, but my involvement with LO
> code isn't that much.

I met two of them at the GSoC mentors summit but unfortunately I don't
recall their names ... otherwise I'd try to write them directly.

But as said, I think there should be someone with actual OO/LO
experience to start working on this, be it by updating the existing
extension or by writing a new one with Python (and python-ly).

Urs