Re: Experience with several import filters

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Experience with several import filters
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:40:02 +0100

Am 04.01.2017 um 05:25 schrieb Marc Mouries:
abc2ly: I use it from time to time to convert Celtic tunes. It works but converts the chords as markup and starting from scratch in lilypond happens to be faster.

Thank you for the report!
Urs

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

> midi2ly

I used it for freely licensed scores on cpdl or imslp which are not
created in LilyPond and too ugly to use in a choir. Sometimes midi files
are published together with the pdf or the proprietary format. The
result was never usable directly (all voices in one staff without
collision-avoidance/voice-association, no or bad lyrics, wrong key,
scaled durations, i.e. a4*234/128 s4*22/128 instead of a2 - the latter
problem might by fixed by finding an appropriate quanization).

The problems ranged from ly files that are easily fixed to some cases
where it was much faster to rewrite everything from scratch. I guess it
depends on the application writing the midi file. I never systematically
cared about that.

extract single voices, fix some errors and put them into my own ly
skeleton and it was worth having the tool.

Cheers,
Joram

-- Marc