Re: Tips on quick entry

From: Glen Larsen
Subject: Re: Tips on quick entry
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 14:36:11 -0800

Try the hints on this page, especially frescobaldi, if you haven't checked it out already.

Since I think you will get many suggestions, here is a short description of my working process for transcribing sheet music for the Mutopia Project. You may not find it applicable to your process and working layout but it is quite efficient for me.

- Ubuntu linux with 3 windows, an emacs editor and 2 pdf viewers, one for source, one for LilyPond output. I overlay the LilyPond output over the source so that only the source system of interest is showing. (Working from paper is actually quicker but I am a paperless kind of guy.)
- Typically treble in one voice, bass in another (I transcribe mostly classical guitar music), one measure per line with bar checks ('|'). (In emacs, when '|' is typed, the time for the measure is calculated and displayed.)
- Transcribe only notes, no dynamics, markups, etc.
- Transcribe treble first, reviewing each system as you finish.
- While transcribing bass, review treble.
- Add dynamics and markups using point-and-click, reviewing once more.
- Walk through with midi.
- I let LilyPond position/auto-beam/etc. then do a tweaking pass if necessary.

I use the compile command in emacs as I work so that clicking on an error message will take me to the problem line. This method allows me to work entirely from emacs, only moving to the pdf viewers when need to I scroll to the next system in the source.

- I prefer 'fixed' entry over absolute and relative.
- make generous use of 'repeat unfold' for short repeated patterns.
- use 'q' note entry for repeated chords.