Re: Getting lyrics from LilyPond into Sibelius

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Getting lyrics from LilyPond into Sibelius
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 15:05:16 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 2:53 PM
Subject: Getting lyrics from LilyPond into Sibelius

Hi all,

Frescobaldi's MusicXML export doesn't support lyrics yet (and I don't
think it will ever because the lyrics are represented really differently
(MusicXML stores each syllable along with the note, so the exporter
would have to actually determine where a given syllable ends up).

So exporting a file to MusicXML and importing that to Sibelius is
necessarily lyrics-free, and I wonder what's the most efficient way to
get lyrics into Sibelius.

I know that Sibelius can import lyrics from a text file
(https://blogs.online.berklee.edu/tomrudolph/2010/09/16/sibelius-lyric-entry-from-a-text-file/)
and will automatically apply hyphenation. It's easy to remove
hyphenation in Frescobaldi and copy the resulting lyrics to a file, but
it would of course be preferrable to preserve the actual hyphenation
from the LilyPond file - which may of course have had some manual
scrutiny. Unfortunately this blog post doesn't mention this, so I'd like
to ask any Sibelius owner here if/how it is possible to feed Sibelius
with already-hyphenated lyrics. Converting LilyPond's hyphenation to an
arbitrary other syntax should be simple enough.

Any suggestions (apart from not using Sibelius, of course)?

TIA
Urs

I've just done a quick test importing some Latin - if there are no hyphens, by default Sibelius guesses. If hyphens are present in the text (as a simple - with no spaces: hy-phen) then Sibelius appears to obey them and not to try alternatives.

--
Phil Holmes