Re: Tips on quick entry

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Tips on quick entry
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:46:05 +0000

On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 16:27 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:
> [...] doesn't cover chord entry - I used to use the
> > sustain pedal to indicate that the notes played should all be in one
> > chord, but now I hold down the Alt key - you can do either in Denemo.
> > The problem with depending on the timing of the ons and offs is that
> > played musically notes which are intended to be sequential can often not
> > be so, quite - not a problem I guess if you are playing in slowly,
> > changing the duration each time it alters.
>
> You know, if Frescobaldi development weren't apparently dead

Oh, dear. I was going to add that the nice soundsfromsounds video guide
also failed to draw attention the the "All sharps" or "All flats"
limitation. It presumably means that a piece with F-sharp and B-flat in
it would require you to stop off and click on a button when they
alternated.
A better enharmonic range (if it must be fixed) would be E-flat to
G-sharp. But I'm sure William could make the range selectable as in
Denemo. Trickier for Frescobaldi might be to draw attention to
enharmonic mistakes A-flat for G-sharp etc. Denemo plays augmented or
diminished intervals on a different channel as you enter music so you
can easily hear E, A-flat, B-natural when E, G-sharp, B-natural was
intended. Since introducing that feature several years ago I have never
had an enharmonic error in my music.

> (no more
> commits in the repository since October 1 and submitted trivial patches
> get dropped on the floor), it would be worthwhile to make Frescobaldi
> decide "chord-or-not" based on the overlap in duration.

I think you could be right - I have so little need for chord entry that
it has been rather neglected.

Richard