Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 20:21:39 +0100

Hi,

> Hello,

>> I already had the vague thought how much work it might be to explore
>> other scheme-dialects, adjust whole lilypond to use them and drop
>> guile entirely.
>
> For info, someone claimed on irc (#guile, freenode) that he/she is closed to
> compile/use lilypond using guile-2.1:
>
>         https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guile/2017-01-05
>
>         [12:44:11]      <ArneBab>       for the first time in several years, I
>         can use lilypond (on Guile 2.1) to compile my infinite hands sheet
> notes!

I never tried to compile lilypond with a guile version higher than
2.0.13, so I can't say anything about it.

> On this same guile log, further below, you may follow a conversation between
> the user
> and wingo (1 of the 3 guile maintainers) on what he/she considers 'the last
> problem
> to solve' ...

A more detailed list of problems (without any warranty to be complete) here:
https://ao2.it/tmp/lilypond-guile2/TODO

Let me emphasize the slow down of LilyPond to a third (or less on huge
scores) and the problems with non-ASCII characters.

If you want to do some experiments, checkout the branch dev/guile-v2-work.
(run configure with the --enable-guile2 option)

Also, a new LilyDev to run in a VB is available, but I'd recommend to
wait for next LilyDev-release, due to some bugfixes.

Cheers,
  Harm