Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 19:53:25 -0000

Urs Liska wrote Saturday, January 07, 2017 6:59 PM

> Am 07.01.2017 um 19:46 schrieb H. S. Teoh:
>> I didn't realize there was so much going on with the transition (or lack
>> thereof?) to guile 2.0.  What of the idea of packaging the last
>> known-to-be-good version of guile 1.8 with the lilypond sources, and
>> just going with that?
>
> Well, Guile2 seems to offer things that we will probably *want* in
> LilyPond, e.g. support for import/export to XML.

Without knowing much about Linux distros, I'm wondering if the best
course of action would be to aim to bundle Guile 1.8 with the LP 2.20
release.  Would that help in keeping LP in the distros?  Would it
sidestep the issue of their having to maintain Guile 1.8 alongside
Guile 2?  But if they insist on recompiling from source, is it even
possible to "bundle" Guile 1.8 with LP in other than our own
distributions?  And is it feasible to do even that?  Wish I had the
knowledge to know, but I'm sure many on this list will have the answers.

Guile 2 is clearly impracticable for serious LP work at present, so it
has no place in a stable release.  But hopefully work can continue in
the 2.21 development release.  Although slow (pun intended) progress
is being made: kudos to all those who have managed to get this far.

Trevor