Re: Tips on quick entry

From: Nathan Ho
Subject: Re: Tips on quick entry
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 13:57:33 -0800

On 2017-01-06 13:39, Samuel Speer wrote:
Hello list,

It takes me ages to enter the note data into LilyPond. Last night I
spent almost an hour a page just getting notes and lyrics in. Does
anyone have any tips for quick entry? I do have a midi keyboard but
haven't tried it much. It seems slow because I have to switch back and
forth with the computer keyboard to do articulations, durations, etc.

Hi Samuel,

Composing and arranging directly into LilyPond is always going to be slow (since you're doing more than just note entry). But if you're just transferring music from paper to LilyPond, you can get pretty efficient.

It's important to have a workflow that doesn't involve switching windows and typing "lilypond prelude.ly" in the terminal and whatnot. Use Frescobaldi or a similar setup with your editor of choice.

Don't feel the need to wait for LilyPond to compile, especially for large scores. My approach is to keep typing music continuously. I hit Ctrl+M (Frescobaldi) every few bars or so, leave it on in the background while I keep transcribing, and maybe glance at its results. It's largely a matter of practice -- get really comfortable with LilyPond's syntax so you can confidently type a large chunk of music in without needing to look at the compiled output. Proofreading comes after the initial sprint through the music, and point and click is essential for that.

Oh yeah, and I suggest using \language "english". Save a few characters.

Nathan