Global vs. local staff size

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Global vs. local staff size
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 10:23:24 +0000

I discovered an oddity when changing the staff size. If I use layout-set-staff-size certain chords produce an ugly alignment, whereas a set-global-staff-size doesn't. In the following snippet, uncomment line 5 and comment line 20 and the 3rd chord changes its layout. Oddly, the surrounding chords are OK. Something to do with ledger-lines, maybe?

Also, I thought that the local staff size should take precedence over the global, but if both lines are left in the chord is OK.

\version "2.19.52"

\language "english"

%#(set-global-staff-size 14)

\score {