Re: Incomplete measure numbering in repeat

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Incomplete measure numbering in repeat
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 10:58:58 +0100

On 14.01.2017 08:05, Menu Jacques wrote:
Hello folks,

In this example (from Gabrieli, faked time signature), is the second alternative's first measure to be numbered 3, or 2?

I can basically think of three options:
2 – if you don’t count repeated bars twice
2a – to stress that it’s an alternative to bar 2 (or 2b as alternative to 2a)
4 – if you do count repeated bars twice

Personally, I prefer the third option (4), since it corresponds to the reality of the sounding music, and bar numbers better hint the actual proportions of the piece. I get the logic behind numbering it 3, but I still find that confusing, since there would be no possible setting where bar ‘3’ is played after bar ‘2’, if you get my point.
Unfortunately, LilyPond doesn’t support the third option…

Best, Simon