UTF-8 chars in included filenames on Windows 10 revisited

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: UTF-8 chars in included filenames on Windows 10 revisited
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 11:17:17 +0100

Hi list,

it appears UTF-8 character in filenames on Windows seems to be a
recurring theme. The attached files placed into the same directory won't
properly run on Windows 10 or Windows 7 while there is no problem at all
on Linux (I suspect no problem on OSX either but haven't checked):

test.ly
%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.54"

\include "test-ä.ily"

\score {
  \music
}
%%%%%%%%%%%

test-ä.ily
%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.54"

music = \absolute { c' }

I'm aware renaming 'test-ä.ily' to e.g. 'test-1.ily' (i.e. getting rid
of the letter 'ä' in the filename) will make it work on Windows too.

However I occasionally switch between Linux and Windows and would like
to be able to use non ASCII letters in my filenames. Is there a way to
make this work on Windows as well and how?

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden