Re: Removing Barlines

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Removing Barlines
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 15:11:37 +0100

Am 14.01.2017 um 18:16 schrieb Amir Teymuri:
> i am a new lilypond user. How can i hide / remove barlines completely?
> When i set \override Score.BarLine in each upper and lower staffes of a
> piano staff only the line on the systems will be overriden but not the
> line between upper and lower systems. Attached is how it lookes like
> and my code.

It looks like you have no bars and no time signature in this piece. So
you don’t want to have break possibilities only at bar lines. There are
two options (see code example below):

1. use barAlways = ##t which sets a bar line after every single note.
2. use \cadenzaOn and \bar"" where you want to allow a line breaks.

I saw that you use <<a8 c>> for chords. This works but there is a
shorter way: <a c>8 (note that the duration belongs after the > because
it’s for the whole chord). << >> is usually used for polyphony.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

% for line break possibilities everywhere use
% barAlways and empty bar lines:

\new Score \with {
  barAlways = ##t
  defaultBarType = ""
  \omit BarNumber
  \omit TimeSignature
} {
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
}

% for only manual break possibilities use
% \cadenzaOn and manual empty bars:

\new Score \with {
  \omit TimeSignature
} {
  \cadenzaOn
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b\bar"" b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b\bar"" b b b b\bar"" b b b b
  b b b b b b\bar"" b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b\bar"" b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b\bar"" b b b b b b b b b b b b b b
  b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b