Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:30:26 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> I now compiled guile master from
> 35a90592501ebde7e7ddbf2486ca9d315e317d09
> "Add unboxed floating point comparison instructions."
>
> Getting Guile 2.1.5.21-35a90
>

> Then I compiled LilyPond with this guile (thanks Werner fore the hints)
> As mentioned before, scm_protects doesn't work anymore. Simply
> replacing it with scm_gc_protect_object as the IRC-log
> https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guile/2017-01-05
> seems to sugest

That one was complete hogwash.  scm_protects returns the list of
protects, scm_gc_protect_object adds an object to that list.  Names are
related, functionality isn't usefully so.

> didn't work for me, so I commented the whole definition of ly:protects
> and replaced the result of it's call with an empty list.  I'm aware
> this is brute-force and one should do a proper fix instead,

Protection is sufficiently different in 2.x as to make this not
worthwhile.  Your fix is likely as good as it gets.

> (2)
> Compiling a huge score
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00943.html
> lasts ~15 minutes
> With lilypond and guile 2.0.13 it was ~17 minutes
> Though, lilypond with guile 1.8.8 made it in ~5 minutes

Yep, that's the one to rub people's faces in.

> (3)
> guile now finds files with chinese, etc characters
> guile --no-auto-compile filename_名字.scm
> succeeded.
>
> (4)
> Trying to compile filename_名字.ly with lilypond still returns
> warning: cannot find file: `filename_??????.ly'
> fatal error: failed files: "filename_??????.ly"

All the encoding stuff isn't up to snuff yet.

> But let me say, why, I mean WHY?? did noone drop a note about (3) here
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2017-01/msg00003.html
> or here
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2016-11/msg00031.html

Depends on when this was fixed.  Or whether it depends on your locale
anyway.

--
David Kastrup