Adding brass fingerings to notes

From: NickC
Subject: Adding brass fingerings to notes
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 16:16:44 -0700 (MST)

I'm transcribing some old handwritten drum and bugle corps music with
Lilypond, and one particular aspect of these parts is that they often
provide valve fingerings (0 for no valves pressed, 12 for first and second
valves pressed, etc) since there were different tuning standards for
different configurations of bugles owned by various corps and the players
were often not familiar with reading notes on a staff.

To save some time and ensure some accuracy, is there a way I can
automatically add a note's given fingering as an annotation?  For example,
for the given fingerings

c'' = 0,
d'' = 1,
e'' = 0,
f'' = 1,
g'' = 0

of the notes in the snippet

\relative c'' {
 c4 d e-12 f g1
}

I'd want the corresponding fingerings in the list added over the first and
last two notes, but override the fingering for E with 12.

I tried using the NoteNames context to do this, but it seems too inflexible
to let me override a given note's fingering, which sometimes has to be done
for intonation or ease of fingering reasons.

NC