overextended volta alternatives

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: overextended volta alternatives
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:23:36 +0100

Hi List,

I have a somewhat difficult issue with volta and alternative endings. First, a verbal description:

I have a score in which a passage is repeated 3 times, each with a different ending. At the last ending, I have a section that repeats thrice, followed by three separate endings. So, here is a MWE:

\version "2.19.52"

\relative c' {
  \time 4/8
  \repeat volta 5 {
    s2*24 |
  }
  \alternative {
   { % 25-28
   \mark \default
   s2*4

   | % 29-30
   \time 2,2,3 7/8
   s1*7/8*2
   \bar "||"

   | %31
   s1*7/8

   | % 32-35
   \time 4/8
   s2*4

   | %36-37
   s2 | s4 s8 s16 s16^\markup { \right-align { "D.S. al Coda" } } |
   }
   \break
   {
   % 38-52 (copied from "Abschied")
   \mark \default
   \once \override Score.MetronomeMark.extra-offset = #'(1 . 2.75)
   \tempo 8 = 104
   \time 4/4
   \key b \major
    s1*15 \bar "||"

   %53-57
   \mark \default
   s1*5 | }
   \break
   {
   % 58-59
   \mark \default
   \once \override Score.MetronomeMark.extra-offset = #'(1 . 0)
   \tempo "Lento (Tempo I)"
   \time 4/8
   \key b \minor
   s2*2 |

s2*4
\bar "|."
}

here's the issue: there are only three alternative endings that I can see -- the ones starting at 25, 38, and 58 --, but Lilypond gives me the following error if I have any fewer that 5 repeats given to volta:

warning: More alternatives than repeats.  Junking excess alternatives

furthermore, in my complete file, the \time and \key statements in the last alternative block are ignored, so that I get a bunch of barcheck failures.

Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong here?